Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shots

Confession:
Marley hasn't gotten shots since her one year well baby exam.

I didn't plan it that way. I didn't conciously decide not to vaccinate her. It just never happened. When we went to the next appointment where she would have gotten shots, she had a cold so she couldn't get them. Then our insurance was switching. Then I didn't know who I could go to. Then we lost her shot record. Then we moved and I didn't know where to go again. Then our old doctor took 6 weeks to send her records here. Then the doctor's phone wasn't working. Then we were in Nacogdoches and couldn't get them done.

Anyway, one excuse after another and here we are a year behind on her shots.

But today I made huge progress and actually got her two vaccinations! How it works for us is that we have to go to our off-post assigned doctor for the appointment and then they make a sort of prescription for the shots she needs. We then take that prescription to the immunization clinic on post and get her shots. Her prescription was for five different shots, but we are only going to get two at a time.

Today, she got the MMR and Variccela vaccines. She was a much better sport that I thought she would be. She only cried for about a minute until the nurse gave her two bracelets and a lollipop. My Marley knows what she likes and quickly smiled about the candy! She hated the cartoon character band aids that the nurse put on her and insisted on putting them on my arms. Which was fine, I love sporting Tasmanian Devil band aids!

So, in two or three weeks we will go back and continue on our list of shots. I think was a bigger deal for me than it was for her! I still hate it just as much. It's hard to watch her unsuspecting face go from smiling to screaming in half a second! Hopefully this gets even easier each time we go, instead of getting harder! That would be nice!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...