Monday, May 28, 2012

Ice Cream in the Dryer

Seriously, we made ice cream in our dryer!


We set out to make ice cream in bags.  You put your ice cream mixture in a quart size bag, then put that into a gallon size bag, half-full of ice.


However, the recipe did not tell us how hard it was going to be to shake the bag for 15 minutes.  And how cold our hands would get! 


So, my genius husband said, "Let's put them in the dryer on the no-heat setting!"  And I have to confess that I thought it was a crazy idea and I wouldn't let him put mine or Marley's in.  The last thing we needed was a three year old who had been told she was having ice cream, but instead we were cleaning it out of the dryer.

But it totally worked!  So, we did all three that way.  And it was delicious!

 Vanilla with Ande's mints on top.

I made blackberry ice cream.  Amazing.

Vanilla with chocolate chips.

We all loved it!  And I would definitely do it again!  Here is a recipe we used.

1 cup half & half
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Any mix-in you would like (I added 8 mashed blackberries)

Put all of this ingredients straight into your smaller bag.  In the gallon size bag, put in 1/2 cup salt and fill it half way with ice.  

Then, stick your small bag inside the bigger one and put it in the dryer for 5-10 minutes with no heat.  Just keep checking on it until it is the consistency you want!

2 comments:

Asa said...

I ALSO added an extra gallon bag to every one. AND we used freezer bags instead of normal ones. Love you.

Ami said...

How cool is that! I can't wait to try this with the girls.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...