Thursday, January 13, 2011

Learning with Straws

So, I know a looooong time ago I said that I was going to start writing posts about activities that Marley and I do during the day. And I didn't make any more posts after that! But, with the weather so incredibly cold and Marley and I spending so much time inside, we have had to go back to our books and find some new ideas! We do crafts a lot, sing songs, color with crayons, and since Christmas she has had a whole new room of toys to play with. But she still comes to me and says she wants to play "games." That really just means that she wants me to come up with something for us to do together!

So, a few months ago I bought a book called Slow and Steady Get Me Ready by June R. Oberlander. I don't remember how much it was, but I bought it used on Amazon for very little. It has weekly activities for you to do with your kids from birth to age 5, and I love it! Some of them involve a lot of equipment and preparation, so I don't usually do a lot of those. But the easy ones are great.
Today we did some practice with sorting and patterns. All I had to do was get 18 straws, and cut 6 of them in half. We talked about tall versus short, counted all the straws, sorted them into piles, and then tried practicing patterns. She was ready to do something else by the time we got to the pattern part. so she wasn't very into it. But I asked her to get a baggy, we put all the straws in the baggy, and then we can do it again another day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...