Friday, March 5, 2010

Deployment Concerns

I got a letter from Asa yesterday saying that a 1st Sargent told him he will be going to Afghanistan in September or October. It broke my heart. I know we signed up for this, and I knew he would get deployed at some point, but there was always this little glimmer of hope in the back of my head. To hear someone say it is for real is unsettling.

How do you make it though a year without seeing your husband? A year seems so incomprehensible from where I am. How can I even wrap my mind around how long that is? Hell, it could even be 15 or 18 months. 18 months is the entire time that Marley has been alive! How will he feel when he is missing all the new things Marley learns? What will I tell my two-year-old when she asks for her Daddy? Will we be able to be normal again after spending that much time apart?

I googled "tips for dealing with deployment" and found a page with some great ideas for how to cope. One of my favorites is something I remind myself of all the time:
20. Be proud. "I remember that he is gone not because he wants to be away from me, but because he is a terrific person and is dedicating his life to serving his country." --flyp3navy
Instead of people saying "You must be so sad here without him," I really hope people will say "You must be so proud of him!" I am proud of him and I know that what he is doing is for us. All of us. But a year is such a long time, and it will be hard every day. I guess you just do it. I know thousands of military spouses are going through it right now, and I know that we can. We have to.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...