Thursday, March 26, 2009

Playing Lactation Consultant

Today, my friend Marina came home the hospital with her new little boy, William. She lives here at Windhill, and I have been talking to her all through her pregnancy about what is to come. She and I are just about the same on the shyness scale, so we haven't gotten really close yet. I didn't know that she had had William until this afternoon when her husband, Bobby, came into the office and told Carrie and I. So, I called the flower shop and had some flowers sent over. When Marina got them, she called and thanked me. I asked how everything was going and she said that she was having some problems with nursing and had been giving him formula because it just wasn't working. I asked if she wanted me to come help her, and she said yes! So, I grabbed my Boppy and breastfeeding books and went over! I was so excited to actually get to show someone something that I am so passionate about!

William was 6 pounds, 8 ounces when he was born. When I held him, it was so amazing to think that Marley was that small. She got down to 6 pounds, 4 ounces after we left the hospital. He was so tiny. I can't even remember Marley being that small. It felt like nothing to hold him after carrying her all day. I just wanted to tell them over and over again how fast it was going to go and how much he was going to change in just a short time. I told them to take tons of pictures, even if they think it's too many. They won't think so later. Marley is so much fun these days, but little William was so precious and helpless. Anyway, back to playing lactation consultant.

So, Bobby and Asa had man-time on the porch with the dogs while I helped Marina with feeding William. I felt so important and useful. She was having problems with how to hold him and making sure he was sucking correctly. I told her all about what was to come and about how it was just going to hurt for a while, until her nipples got used to being used. And I told her that it was just going to feel like he was eating all the freaking time for a while. But, he needs to and she needs him to. And it will be wonderful. And there is no need for her to give him formula if he is breastfeeding successfully (for some reason someone, not a doctor, told her that she had to give him formula so that he would gain weight faster).

I gave her the books and the Boppy and my number and told her to call me anytime. She probably won't, because I would feel weird about that I were her too. But I will go check on her tomorrow and see how they are doing. I really hope that my advice and experience will help her. After all, this is what I want to do, help mommies and babies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a gift you gave to that mom and baby -- and I don't mean the flowers! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...