Saturday, September 22, 2012

we did a 5k today


This was my first 5k.  Well, actually that's not true.  I did the Jingle Bell Run 5k when I was in middle school.  But this was my first 5k since having kids and trying to get in shape.  I knew about the race and wanted to do it and then my mom and sister decided they wanted to participate also!  I was really glad that we were all doing it!  Family time!

 Emily trying to take an artsy picture...


My goal was to run the whole thing without stopping. My mom and Emily walked with the girls in the stroller.  I was actually really nervous.  I knew I could do it because I run that much on a pretty regular basis.  But I was nervous about the group atmosphere and people watching me.  I got over it once I started jogging and realized no one cared what I looked like!

 That's me in fluorescent green shirt closest to the camera.


The run was a little harder than I had anticipated.  I might have done better if the headphone jack on my phone was working and I could've listened to music the whole time.  But I did have a great time.  I ended up going about 7 minutes faster than I thought I would!  It really makes a difference when you have people around you encouraging you!


After I finished, Joel and I waited for the rest of the party to arrive.  When I saw them coming around the corner, I ran to them and took Marley out of the stroller for her to run with me to the finish line!  She was very proud and excited!


Then Marley saw Dede, Vivi, and Mimi coming up to the finish line and wanted to go through again with them!  


I'm so proud of us!  I had a great time and I want to do more.  I am actually signed up for a 10k next month, but I don't know if I will be able to run the whole time for that one.  Maybe with Asa and the girls running next to me, I will have the encouragement to finish it. 

But for now, I am super proud and happy with my first 5k and hope to do many more!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You all look great! Can't wait to RUN that 10K with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...