Saturday, September 29, 2012

day 20: coming home


It was a long day.  We headed out of Nacogdoches around 5:45 in the morning and I had planned to stop for the night in Tulsa.  But we kept going, one town at a time.  We stopped at parks and rest stops and health food stores and Panera, until we were finally home.  Marley was completely broken-hearted to leave Texas.  She cried several times on the trip, but she was also my helper.  She was my assistant when Vivi needed something and my entertainment when I needed a friend.  She was happier once we got home and she could get out her favorite books and snuggle into her princess sleeping bag.  She rested on the couch reading books while I unpacked the car.  And once I got her into bed, she was asleep within 3 minutes.


Vivi was a good sport for most of the time.  She was about how you could expect any 14 month old to be on a 14 hours car trip.  On the last hour of our trip, I decided to get out the laptop and keep the girls happy in the dark car with a movie.  Vivi has never watched a movie.  But I thought if there was any time to be the first time, this was it.  So, we stopped at a rest stop and I got it out.  It was dead.  So, we went inside and I charged it.  20 minutes later, we emerged with a laptop that had just enough battery life to get us home.  I got everyone in the car, started the movie and started driving.  About a mile later, Vivi was screaming, so I exited, stopped the truck, climbed in the back and nursed her in her carseat until she had gone to sleep.  And then we were able to get home, thankfully.  I brought her right inside and she was asleep for the night in the same clothes she had worn all day.  But the three of us slept hard until morning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...