Monday, May 14, 2012

Off Day

We got back from our big weekend just before dinner last night. Asa brought in the bags and boxes from the truck while I tried to make a dinner out of the contents of our fridge and the ice chest. We ended up having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which, it turns out, were the perfect choice.

After dinner, we all crashed and slept hard. Marley was so tired that she slept in until 7:30 and I was do exhausted that I didn't manage to get up with Asa like I had planned. He lucked out and PT was cancelled, so he got to come back home and get back in bed with his three girls.

So, today was spent recuperating. I literally did about 8 loads of laundry today. I cleaned the kitchen, swept and mopped, made our meal plan and grocery list, and cleaned up our mess of a living room. Cleaning days are stressful for all of us. I makes me a little bit crazy to see the house is disarray. And the girls don't like it when I am busy doing other things. And i would be much happier playing with them! But at some point, Mama's gotta clean!

Vivi took a three hour nap and Marley slept for about an hour. And after the girls woke up, we went on a big tricycle ride for Marley to get some exercise and fresh air.

At 6:15, we headed to gymnastics. Asa stayed home with Vivi today, so it was a special trip for me and Marley. She was so excited and eager to get there and start. I even brought my camera this time to photograph our gymnastics star.

But as soon as they got in their circle to start class, she turned around and looked like she was about to cry. I motioned for her to come over and she told me she was going to miss me. I hugged her and told her I wasn't going anywhere and then hurried her back to her class. She sat down, turned to me again, and started crying.

I walked over and scooped her up and asked her if she wanted to go home. She said yes, so we told the teacher that today was just not a gymnastics day. Marley had a look of relief on her face as we left. I held her hand and we talked about dinner and grocery shopping.

I can't tell you how good it felt to listen to her and be understanding to the fact that today was just an off day for her. I could have been upset with her and told her that she had to do the class. But I want gymnastics to be fun for her, and I want her to be happy to be there. Normally, she would love it. But today, she just needed some family time and I wanted to make her feel comfortable and let her know it was okay I feel that way.

We all have weird days, where things are off and you don't feel like your normal awesome self. Today was that day for all of us. But the best way to fix our bad day? Being together as a family. Then we are reminded how lucky we are!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...